Do’s and Don’ts of Divorce
Navigating the uncharted waters of divorce can be challenging. To ensure smooth sailing, we suggest you consider the following Do’s and Don’ts:
- DO show respect to your spouse in front of the children; create an environment in which they have a positive relationship with both of their parents.
- DON’T discuss the details of the divorce with your children.
- DO make sure the children know they are not the reason for the divorce.
- DON’T get legal, financial, or mental health advice from a friend.
- DO speak for yourself, not your spouse.
- DON’T criticize the other parent in front of the children.
- DO allow yourself to heal.
- DON’T lean on your children for support or validation.
- DO exercise and eat healthier.
- DON’T air the details of your divorce on social media.
- DO take responsibility for your feelings.
- DON’T allow your feelings to dictate your actions.
- DO remember that the collaborative process is voluntary.